Page 1 of 9
Origin of this profession can be traced back to 1960, when Company Law Board started a course in Company Secretary-ship leading to a Government Diploma.
During last four decades the profession of Company Secretaries has made its presence felt on Indian corporate sector.
Company Secretaries have emerged as indispensable adjuncts to the corporate establishments. Today, these professionals occupy enviable positions in corporate hierarchy up to the level of chairman and managing director in large public limited companies and corporations.
In last 10 years, India has witnessed a phenomenal growth and expansion in corporate sector resulting from its exposure to industrialization. Growing demand for specialists in almost every sphere of corporate functions has led to emergence of professionals who can perform specialized skills with near perfection in their respective fields.
Company Secretary is one such professional who is responsible for efficient management of corporate sector. He co-ordinates and assists various departments of organization, ensures compliance of company legislations and advises directors on statutory requirements of company. Apart from carrying out these functions he also looks after finance, accounts, legal, personnel and administrative functions.
In short, the primary functions of a CS include:
* Ensuring compliance with various legislations according to the Companies Act 1956
* Acting as a confidante to the Board of Directors
* Acting as an internal legal advisor
* Interacting and coordinating with other functional heads of the company
* Formulating long and short-term corporate policies and programmes
* Corporate planning
* Planning expansion opportunities and overseeing collaborations, amalgamations, acquisitions, mergers etc.
* Assisting in tax planning and tax management
Related career options: CSs can diversify into the following areas of work-
* Financial management
* Personnel management
* Tax management
* Administrative jobs
* Company law
After completing Post Graduate Degree Course one can pursue the Ph.D. course.